Friday, May 30, 2014

Honor the Tribe

Today I say farewell to my students- the class of 2014. And the message we were left with was our motto from the school year, "Honor the Tribe". What is honor? How do you define honor? And what is your tribe? 

My tribe at Bountiful High has been very instrumental in my life this year helping me get through a challenging time. I hope that they know how helpful they were to me. And when I look at the list of names of students I have taught for three years I feel honored to watch them grow and they honor me by their success. Our tribe is unique. We are measured by our footsteps and those of us at Bountiful High can hold our heads high. 

I am excited for the summer. My skin is starting to heal. Joey said it looks like someone tried to burn me with an iron. But I only have 7 more Herceptin infusions. My last one will be Oct 23 and then they can remove the port. The Herceptin is not an infusion with bad side effects. Other than the time that it takes the only drawback is potential heart damage. Me EKG in April looked great and I'll have another one in July. I am hoping my reconstructive surgery will be in August so I have time to heal before a new school year. 

I think that as I was listening to the graduation commencement and thinking about my year Faulkner's words hit home:
"I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail."
It has been a long year and I have prevailed. My heart goes out to my dear friend who lost a child this week to Batten's disease. She is prevailing in many ways that perhaps we never anticipated. But what an honor she has been to her parents and family. 
My students have been amazing and taught me many lessons this year as I endured. Honor the Tribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment