Monday, February 10, 2014

Enjoy Life

I was taught a valuable lesson the other day. I was grocery shopping at Target and ran into a good friend that I haven't seen in over a year. As she began to talk to me I could tell that something wasn't quite right. She proceeded to tell me that she was struggling with her speech and that if takes her awhile to communicate and that she wanted me to be patient. It was then that I realized something had happened and I felt like a horrible friend. 
For the past year she has had many medical issues and the doctors have had a hard time diagnosing and treating her. They began with a hysterectomy and when that didn't help they tried other options. Things got to the point that three weeks ago she had a minor stroke while driving on the freeway and her sister had to perform life saving measures on the side of the road. Consequently her speech was now compromised and she felt confused and scared and frustrated. 
If was at this moment that I was humbled to realize that my insignificant health problems could be so much worse. I left Target in tears and couldn't give her enough love. I kept hugging her because I was grateful for my own health and my heart was breaking for her and her husband. 
Bad stuff happens to us all and we need to not worry about all of those bad moments and enjoy the good things I our life. If I was unable to get a sentence out I would want to hide in my bedroom and not talk at all. But here she was out with a smile doing her grocery shopping and not letting it keep her down. And she took the time to stop and say hi and check on me. What a valuable life lesson! Keep living life. . . 
Connect with friends. . . 
Don't ever let our health stop us from living. 
And most if all lean on your friends and never let an opportunity pass you by to give someone a hug!

No comments:

Post a Comment