Monday, February 10, 2014

Hug someone today

As I was driving in the car a song became in that I had never heard before. It just seemed to fit my life perfectly. 

"Let me hold you"
By Josh Krajcik

When the dark clouds come your way
When your demons can't be tamed
When your last straw starts to break
and you feel your heart can't take anymore
when your second chance is gone
when you're barely hanging on
when you're tired of being strong, and you don't know where to run anymore

I wanna take away the hurts
but I just don't have the words
Let me hold you
Let me hold you tight
Let me hold you
Just let me hold you tonight...

When the shadow's always there
When you can't come up for air
When tomorrow seems to lead nowhere
and there's no answer to your prayer anymore

I wanna take away the hurts
but I just don't have the words
Let me hold you
Let me hold you tight
Let me hold you
Just let me hold you tonight...

Let me hold you
Let me hold you
Let me hold you tight
Let me hold you
It's all that I can do...tonight.

Joey has to hug me carefully and sometimes hesitates because I often have pain from the port or the expanders. But one thing that works well is when I sit on his lap while he is lounging in his recliner. He just holds me. And it works well. Almost every night you can find me in his arms as we watch television or just talk. It doesn't change the day or made me better, but it eases the sorrow and helps us connect. 

Sometimes you have to find ways to reconnect and not allow cancer to run your life. So last weekend my brother was playing for a Vienna Ball with the Salt Lake Symphony. I bought tickets and asked my husband to go to the dance with me. Literally, I sent him flowers at work and asked him to the dance. And as we danced together and he held me we didn't think about our circumstances. We just held each other and connected.

A hug is something that eases the pain. It  helps you to face the world and the dark clouds. The demons that try to prevent you from being strong can be tamed with a hug. We can't always take away the hurt or pain that a loved one may be experiencing. There are many days that Joey  wants to fix things. He wants to take the cancer away. But he can hold me. And when I'm barely hanging on a hug can change my day. Look around and find someone to hug. 

No comments:

Post a Comment