Thursday, March 6, 2014

Happy Dance

Although there is a long road still ahead of us the worst is going to be behind us. I expect a rough ten days to follow this chemo but then no more chemo side effects.
I will still get infusions if Herceptin every 3 weeks until next Thanksgiving (wow- that sounds so far away!) But Herceptin is the drug that targets my type of cancer with positive antibodies. So besides the time to come up and get the infusion it will be easy! And I'll have my port until December.... Boo! Although having a port is such a blessing. And today Tiffany, the only person who doesn't hurt me when she pokes me, was accessing my port. 
I will start radiation on April 3rd. My oncologist advised me today on my decision making and confirmed that radiation would be the best approach. I will do that until the middle of May and then I will just enjoy my summer. On August 13th I will be able to schedule my final reconstruction. They make you wait until 3 months after radiation to give your skin time to heal. I still have some milestones to reach but today is a big one. 
This is my oncology team: Dr. Ward, Rosie, and Anne. I love them. They answer every question. They spend all the time I need with each visit. They walk through every symptom. I love them!!

No more hair loss! My hair will start to grow back. Will it be blonde? Black? Red? Curly? Straight?  
No more crazy taste buds. Food will taste normal!! 
No more nose sores. My nose will stop bleeding!! 
No more hurting toes. My toes will start to regrow. My fingernails will get stronger. No more crazy lotion application. My skin won't be as dry. 
No more mouth sores. 
No more neuropathy. My hands and feet won't be numb. 
No more gas!!! 
No more bowel issues. 
No more nausea! 
No more bone pain! 
I am happy for this list of no mores makes me smile with anticipation. 
Tonight I will be doing the Happy Dance! I have done it! I survived chemotherapy. I am awesome!!


1 comment: