Thursday, March 6, 2014

Make Valentine's last all year long

I realized I never blogged about our Valentine's Day. It was the day after chemo so I spent the day in bed! I did have to go to Huntsman for my nulesta shot but I was a very different day. My sweet husband was very thoughtful and sent me a basket of sunshine.... Lots of lemon treats: lemon tarts, lemon bars, lemon cookies, lemon cake pops. Can you tell I like lemon after chemo? 
We celebrated our anniversary the day before in chemo and our infusion nurses gave us an anniversary gift:
This is the photo Joey took while I was sleeping:

How sweet is that? And as I was sitting in the infusion room I received a Valentine card from an elementary student who made cards for all the cancer patients. 
And to top of our holiday we sent Mikayla off on her first date to the Sweetheart Dance. 
My sweet neighbor and friend Kym made me these adorable hats!! What a touching gift. The amount of time put into these is amazing. And I know that this is a unique talent and a skill I don't possess! 

And although it was not a traditional Valentine's if made me reflect on a bigger sense of the holiday. We have the capacity to love many in our lives. And do we share our hearts and make this world a better place? Do we give others special things to show that we care? Perhaps it is reaching out to an ex-spouse to make a special moment for our daughter. Maybe it is the love if a child who is thinking of others and serving cancer patients instead of playing video games. Or making hats for a friend and sharing your talents. Or just making someone feel loved. Valentines this year was not about me getting romanced by my spouse (although he was adorable and made my day). It was bigger than that.... It was the love of our family, our neighbors, our community. And this feeling should extend past one day a year.... So as I share this 3 weeks after the holiday maybe it will remind us to continue to show love to those who need it most.




No comments:

Post a Comment