Saturday, March 1, 2014

Putting up with a wife that has cancer....

Cancer has brought out (maybe I should just say amplified) some annoying traits that Joey has to deal with. Luckily he has a great sense of humor and we all get a good laugh at my expense.
I have always had a snoring problem which I blame on my dad and my Grandpa Turned. But cancer has created a much more annoying sound that I make in my sleep. I don't know how to explain them other than it sounds like a baby sheep that is slowly suffering! If you really want to hear the sound Joey has plenty of audio files that he has recorded and played for the kids! They laugh and laugh and laugh. 

But even more embarrassing is the issue of flatulence.  Chemo creates a lot of unrest in your intestines and the only relief is to fart. And sometimes the release of air is uncontrollable. And chemo creates a smell that is very unpleasant! Just today Joey came to give me a hug and said so kindly, "I'd like to hug you but will you please not fart on me? You've just been farting a lot lately!" Yes, I am mortified. But I share because my family members are very understanding and with humor I have found that I can deal with this unpleasant side effect. It may not be graceful or attractive or ladylike, but it just happens to be part of my life right now. We were in the 5th hole at Oakridge and I swung the driver so hard that a fart escaped and the kids couldn't hold back their laughter. In fact, I couldn't either! And I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants!! 
I hate these odd side effects and could he mortified and not share, but we have found that humor helps us all deal with cancer. Sometimes laughing at yourself is a hard thing to do and allowing others to find humor at your expense could really damage your confidence. I have found that humor bonds us together and helps solidify our front line together in this battle. 

And sorry to those who had to go down the grocery aisle that I quickly abandoned! If you need a good laugh read the support group on chemo farts on the cancer support page: http://csn.cancer.org/node/185017

No comments:

Post a Comment