Saturday, March 8, 2014

Winning isn't everything.... Or is it?

We have all said at one time or another that winning isn't everything. In fact, I know that I have said that to my kids and even to myself. Today we went up to cheer on the Braves basketball team as they competed in the state championship game at the Huntsman Center. 

I have taught or do teach probably half of the basketball team and you want so badly for them to win because they feel like your kids. And yet there can only be one winner. The game went into final seconds and the Braves pulled out the win! 

The opposing team could have won if there player had made his last two free throws. And it made me feel so bad for that student. What pressure! And along the way the Braves had to tackle hard obstacles.... The refs!! 

But if made me think about beating cancer.....
Winning is everything when you are fighting cancer. 
I have had hard moments and I feel victorious and I am glad that I won the fight. 
And then I think about so many who fight so hard and maybe don't win their fight against cancer. It humbles me to realize my blessings are numerous and my heart goes out to those who don't always win. 
As I was leaving my last infusion I met a young woman who was just starting her first treatment. We talked for a few minutes and I hope that it was encouraging to her to see that I just finished my chemo treatments. And I met an adorable mom in the restroom that was my age and had only two more treatments to go. She drives to Huntsman from Wyoming for her treatments. We all are fighting breast cancer and we all want to win. Winning is everything in this battle. And yet, we have so little control over our outcome. We have to trust in our doctors and medicine and most if all have faith.....
My favorite cheer of the day that both teams chanted, "I believe that we will win!" 
I do believe that I have won! And along the way I have learned some valuable lessons. 
My aunt, Charlene, works for Gamma West in St. George and this plaque hangs in their lobby. She sent this to me and it reminds me of what cancer cannot do....
And thank you Brittany for sending me some VICTORY cookies for my win! And my prayer tonight is that we can all be winners. 


No comments:

Post a Comment