Thursday, December 12, 2013

Chemo Brain is Real

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America..."
And then it happened.... Chemo Brain. I couldn't remember the rest of the pledge. We say it everyday at school and I forgot the words.... 
So in order to not look stupid I fake coughed and just tried to pretend I knew the rest but couldn't say it due to my coughing. 
At parent teacher conferences I had a parent join me that I love and have taught two of their children.... And I couldn't remember their name. 
I forgot to take Mikayla to guitar...
I forgot to go see Megan one night....
I forget and I forget and I forget ....

The American Cancer Society defines chemo brain as the following:

What is chemo brain?

Here are just a few examples of what patients call chemo brain:

  • Forgetting things that they usually have no trouble recalling (memory lapses)
  • Trouble concentrating (they can’t focus on what they’re doing, have a short attention span, may “space out”)
  • Trouble remembering details like names, dates, and sometimes larger events
  • Trouble multi-tasking, like answering the phone while cooking, without losing track of one task (they are less able to do more than one thing at a time)
  • Taking longer to finish things (disorganized, slower thinking and processing)
  • Trouble remembering common words (unable to find the right words to finish a sentence)

Doctors and researchers call chemo brain “mild cognitive impairment.” Most define it as being unable to remember certain things and having trouble finishing tasks or learning new skills. But some doctors call it chemo brain only if it doesn’t go away or get better over time. How long it lasts is a major factor in how much it affects a person’s life.

For most people, brain effects happen quickly and only last a short time. Others have long-term mental changes. Usually the changes that patients notice are very subtle, and others around them may not even notice any changes at all. Still, the people who are having problems are well aware of the differences in their thinking. Many people don’t tell their cancer care team about this problem until it affects their everyday life.

For someone who has lost some brain function, even short-term problems with thinking and memory can be scary. Some people may have trouble remembering simple things, like closing doors or turning off lights. Others may notice that their brain doesn’t work as quickly as it used to. These kinds of brain problems can cause trouble at work and at home. People who notice problems with their thinking may feel even more upset if their doctors blame it on aging or act like it’s nothing to worry about. It’s distressing to wonder if you’ll ever be able to do your job again, or if you’ll get lost on the way to a place you’ve been to dozens of times.


I am learning that I have to write down all my thoughts. No more remembering things we need at the grocery store. No more appointments just in my memory. I have to log my chemo meds or I forget if I have taken them. So if I look at you with a blank stare don't take it personal. I feel like I forget so many things....that reminds me we need to buy styrofoam cups and black shoe polish!!

No comments:

Post a Comment