Sunday, December 1, 2013

True meaning of the holidays

17 years ago a family tradition began in our family. Scott and Holly were expecting their first baby, but Hayley would be born before Christmas. My parents wanted to give us video cameras for Christmas, but they wanted Scott and Holly to have the camera early. So we had Christmas Kick Off! The following year we asked when the kick off would be.... We were expecting another one. So as the years have evolved we have kept the tradition. We use it to get ready for the holidays and our gifts are things for the holiday season: holiday decor, wrapping paper, candles, holiday soap, etc. And we always get holiday pajamas!! 

But more important we talk about the meaning of the season. We talk about the importance of giving rather than receiving. And this year my dad shared some stories about miracles. I think this season we look for many miracles. We are so grateful that we found the cancer and that we are winning our battle. 
My mom shared her perspective on the manger scene. She asked the kids to think about the qualities that each member that was in the stable possessed. What qualities did Joseph and Mary need to be the parents to our Savior? What qualities did the wise men and shepherds possess to bring them on their journey to see the Savior? And what qualities does Jesus have that we should try to emulate? The message was simple: When you see a stable scene think about if you are focusing on having the qualities of these people in your life. 

I thought of Joseph the most this evening. What are the qualities that he had? He was humble, hard-working, dedicated, selfless, faithful, protective, and brave. I think that Joey has these qualities as well and it made me get emotional to think of Joey watching over me just as Joseph watched over Mary.
Tonight I wore my wig to dinner because I was nervous about how Amelia would react to me without hair. After dinner I showed her my wig and let her touch my head. She wanted to try on my wig and hair!! It made things so much easier and she looked so adorable! No more fears and the wig stayed off the rest of the evening. 
So as we head into this holiday season may we look to bring the noble qualities of those who we celebrate this season. Perhaps we can all focus on what is truly important and increase the love around us this season. 





3 comments:

  1. May your days be Merry and Bright...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May God Bless You. You are a survivor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sandi and Judy. Happy Holidays to both of you lovely ladies!

    ReplyDelete