Monday, September 30, 2013

Bountiful High students make me BRAVE


I had to really think about whether or not to tell my students that I was fighting cancer.  They may be high school kids, but they are really still vulnerable, scared kids.  And cancer is a scary thing at any age, but even harder when you are young.  But I knew that I would be going through physical changes and that might be scary for them without understanding.  I also feel that although I am going to try to teach as many days as possible I may not be on my A game on some days.  I think that if they understand the reason they might be a little more forgiving.  The students were awesome and responded with courage and hope.  A few asked me if I was going to die.  It was easy to answer because I know that I will survive.
Last week I had students that started to ask what they could do for me.  Of course there isn't much they can do except pray and have my back, but then I thought about the strength that teenagers have through their trials.  What makes these Bountiful Braves BRAVE?
Music is their answer for everything. 
When they are sad- they have song that makes them BRAVE.
When they are exercising- they have a song that makes them keep going.
When they are gearing up for a game or the day- they have a song that pumps them up.
When they want to express love- they have a song that fits perfectly.
So I asked the song experts to make me a playlist.  I put all my dry erase markers in the front of the room and told them to go for it! I did get some songs that were not quite appropriate for Fighting Cancer: "Bump and Grind", "Let's get it on", "Suicidal thoughts". . . . But I expected a little crazy from my over 200 students.  But I had some amazing songs: "Roar", "Lean on Me", "Stronger", "Child of God". . . . obviously my board was full of songs.  And everytime I looked up from my desk I saw and felt the support of my students.  Their songs will make me BRAVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment