Friday, September 27, 2013

The Cancer Expert. . . . I call him Dad :)

My dad is a very calm, rational man.  He is also one of the smartest individuals that I know.  I remember as a high school student I would do anything to NOT have him help me with my math.  He didn't want to show me how to do each problem; he wanted me to understand the reasoning behind how each math problem worked. Blah!
My dad is my hero.  When he was younger he started working for a company and their focus was to try to find a cure for cancer. And one night while he was sleeping. .  (you might call it a dream, inspiration, a vision) he knew that he could use microwaves to help treat cancer.  Keep in mind this is me speaking in layman's terms, but now he has so many patents to his name and they use his inventions, in conjunction with radiation, to treat certain types of tumors and cancers.  Most of his inventions are pending FDA approval, but they use them overseas all the time. 
So needless to say, my dad knows people who know people who know cancer.  And it is interesting to watch him in his new role.  He is for sure playing the protective father.  He is hugging me more. He is more quiet.  I can see worry creeping across his forehead.  But he is also my source of information and the person that Joey and I lean on to give us guidance on my treatment. 
He has reached out to personal friends of his that are doctors in the field and in that process can in touch with a neighbor of Joey's from Farmington.  We feel like we have so many people looking out for my treatment and care that we are often overwhelmed.  But the feelings are joyous and gracious. 
My dad is sending us research everyday by email so that we become more knowledgeable through this process and can make the best decisions for my prognosis.  He even is guiding us by reminding me to stock my classroom with anti-bacterial gel and making sure that we have thought through everything. 
I feel so grateful that I have the most amazing dad in the world.  Not only does he love me and want to cure me, but he wants to love and cure the world.  And I get to call him Dad!

Click here to watch my dad's company in the news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEVzLvbmmBE

New cancer treatment available in SWFL

Posted: Aug 03, 2011 3:22 PM MDT Updated: Aug 03, 2011 4:45 PM MDT
 

FORT MYERS - Owen McAndrews 87 years old. The WWII veteran is the first cancer patient to be treated in South Florida with the BSD-500 Hyperthermia System.
21st Century Oncology in Fort Myers is the first healthcare provider in South Florida to offer Hyperthermia treatment.  The only other Hyperthermia facilities in Florida are in Hudson and Jacksonville, according to BSD Medical, the system's vendor.
"They tried radiation about 2-3 years ago and that didn't do anything to correct it," said the basal cell carcinoma patient.
The tumors have literally eaten away at his face. This year, doctors gave him another option to complement his radiation - the hyperthermia system.
The machine doesn't have to be used exclusively. Hyperthermia can be combined with chemotherapy and other methods depending on your doctor.  It's typically used with radiation to target cells radiation can not kill.
Doctors are using hyperthermia combined with radiation to treat Owen.
"The radiation kills a lot of the cells, and Hyperthermia--the heat--kills a lot of cells the radiation has trouble getting to," said Dr. Daniel Daniel Dosoretz, with 21st Century Oncology. "You will get two punches instead of one punch. That's the principle."
Right now, 21st Century Oncology is now the only healthcare provider in all of south Florida with the hyperthermia technology.
"It's like a microwave. They turn it on. It brings the heat," said McAndrews.
The treatment scope, for now, is limited to tumors and cancer cells close to the skin's surface.
"Today, we are limited to treat cells that we can heat close to the surface," said Dr. Dosoretz. "As we develop new equipment, we're gonna be treating deeper structures, too."
McAndrews recently completed went through what doctors hope is his 10th and final hyperthermia treatment.
By Paul Gessler

No comments:

Post a Comment