Thursday, September 26, 2013

Not so Brave over the weekend

September 23-
Have you ever waited for days and days for test results? Knowing that in the pit of your stomach that something isn't quite right. . .. .
Thursday was long.
Friday was longer.
Saturday was even longer.
Sunday was unbearable.
By the time I got home from work on Monday I was almost in a full panic attack.  I had called up to the Huntsman Center three times that day.  I knew that we were going to have to wait until Tuesday to get the test results.  Joey could tell that I was about to lose it. And I think he was going a little batty as well.  So we went to the grocery store to just do something.  As we were unloading the groceries I got a call from an "unknown" number on my phone and I knew....
It was the call we had been waiting for and yet the call that we were dreading- but didn't know it.
"Hi, this is Julie from the Huntsman Cancer Institute.  Unfortunately our test results do show that you do have breast cancer.  You have what we call invasive ductal carcinoma and it has spread to the lymph nodes. I'm sorry."
And I thank her! I thank her because I finally have the answer to the test.  I thank her because I will be able to sleep at night.  And I think. . . . I just thanked her for telling me that I have cancer.
But the waiting was over and it was time to BE BRAVE!
We gathered our kids together and talked to them.  And they were so Brave! I am sure that it is scary to think that your mom has cancer.  I would have really struggled with that news when I was their age, but they were so Brave!

No comments:

Post a Comment