Monday, November 11, 2013

My soldier in battle


Today is Veteran's Day! And for those of you who know my husband you know that he is always joking and he is kind of a punk sometimes. So last week he made a snarky remark about "his" big holiday coming up. I was taken back because I knew his birthday was in June and I was so confused. He then proceeded to tell me that Veteran's Day was BIGGER than his birthday. I rolled my eyes and put it out of my mind. Then on Friday we exchanged texts: 

Joey: I can't wait for my big holiday on Monday.
Me: Boooooo
Joey: When you were nice and comfortable in junior high (he is 7 years older than me!) I was off defending your freedom young lady :)
Joey: I made it possible for you to have your first slow dance.
Me: And it was a great first slow dance. Richard Marx was playing and the boy was shorter than me.
Joey: You're welcome!!


Our life has been all about me and cancer lately and I was so excited to totally go overboard and really celebrate him. Joey served in Desert Storm in 1991. He enlisted as a Marine and after graduation began serving our country. He served for four years. I realize that 4 years may seem short to some but training as a marine was not easy. He hates the sand on beaches because it reminds him of basic training. And it was not an easy venture. Two of those years they allowed him to serve an LDS mission but he was still enlisted during that time. He did a stand up job and I am proud that when they ask for Veteran's to stand in a football stadium that my husband gets to stand. I am honored to clap for him and others. And I am moved to tears when the elderly man in front of us turns around to thank Joey for his service. I bought him a marines shirt and pocket watch and sent flowers to his work. He didn't need anything AND he knows I'm doing it to be humorous, but I am grateful for his service. And today I want him to feel special!!!

Now we are facing a new battle. In our cancer book written for husband's, Carson Ross states, "This may be her battle, but you are her soldier." His soldier duties have changed from push-ups, cleaning his gun, defending a country.... But his duties now are just as important to me. He cleans the house, he monitors homework, he takes dare of the dogs, he feeds me treats and meals, he is the master of disinfectant, he drives me to doctor appointments and takes notes, he drives me to school when I an unable to drive, he manages phone calls to insurance companies, he bears the burdens of our finances, and most of all he is the emotion support for me and the kids. I couldn't ask for a better soldier. 

I love this prayer. Can I relate it to our current battle without demeaning what our soldiers do? May my leaders have a clear vision of my treatment. May my courage never falter. I want victory and to be triumphant. May my wounds be healed. I want lasting peace. 
We all have battles and we all need courage and determination to fight. Our armed forces are great examples of how to be a hero. Now is my time to be my hero. 

No comments:

Post a Comment