Wednesday, January 15, 2014

My Favorites! (Cancer Shopping List)

This is my attempt at my "Oprah's favorite things" if I were Opheah and if she did a show for cancer patients! I guess the intent behind this is to help others who might find themselves in a situation where they are facing surgery or chemo and want to feel prepared. These are things that have been so helpful over the past few months. And I guess if you were looking for a gift for someone you love that might be going through this it might give you some ideas. Over the past two weeks I was informed that my blog was being forwarded to other patients and I was hoping that this might be helpful. If you have been following my blog this is boring since all these things have been posted before, but here they are compiled and include links to help with purchasing! 
Trident Vitality Green Tea Gum
Chemo Gum
This is the only gum that I can chew during chemo.  Other gum takes too sweet or too spicy! This gum was in my Christi Rack Pack foundation bag and I had to buy more. It is perfect!



Udderly Smooth
Chemo Lotion
Perfect for dry chemo lotion. This was actually recommended by a close family friend who had a son going through leukemia. It really is a perfect lotion. The scent doesn't make you nauseous and the lotion hydrates your dry skin.




A must all the time. . . chemo burns your nose hairs and your nose is always running and red. It is funny that I always have a Kleenex in my pocket or purse.
Kleenex to go
Aquafor- for your nose! This helps my sores. It soothes my nose. There are times when I can barely touch my nose because it is so tender.

Awesome books for the husband. The first one is by far my favorite. But both are great resources.
Now what?

Lanyards are essential for drains and tubes after mastectomy. I would hook the drains onto the lanyards with safety pins so I could shower. This also reduced the pressure from them hanging. You can use any lanyard but these were so cute!
Breast Cancer Awareness Lanyard

You can't roll on your side or sleep on your stomach for so long. We found this body pillow and it made sleeping so much better. It wasn't cheap but it was worth every penny. This is the greatest purchase ever for post surgery.  I would buy this for sure! Joey wishes we had this after his shoulder surgery.
Body Pillow

Love these books! Both are full of healthy recipes and focus on symptoms and recipes that target and reduce these. For example, if you have diarrhea there are recipes that help cure through healthy eating. It is also full of valuable information on foods that reduce your cancer risk. Eat your blueberries!!
Cancer Fighting Kitchen

One Bite at a Time

Favorite healthy snack. I've tried a number of healthy bars and these are the tastiest!
Kind Bars

Must have for low immunity. I buy small pocket ones from bath and body works for my purse. I keep huge ones at home on my kitchen counter and in my classroom. 
Hand Sanitizer

For those queasy days:
Queasy Pops

Lemon Drops I love to suck on these during my flush at infusion. The taste really bothers me. These are easy to tote and quick to pop in my mouth! I also love butter rum lifesavers!

Bit o Honey For some reason these just taste so heavenly. I can't eat sugary candy. It just tastes so sweet and like syrup. But these taste perfect!

I am a Burt's Bees fan.  These products are amazing and help lips and cuticles.
Burt's Lip Tin Perfect for my dry lips and the taste doesn't bother me.

Burt's Cuticle Cream A must for chemo nails!

Honey and Lemon Drops I prefer the lemon drops from above but I used these when I was fighting a little cold.


Burt's Bees Face Wipes These work beautifully! Especially helpful when you have to limit showering post surgery. And I love the feel on my skin!


This is a must for your wig! You can wash them and dry them upside down on these stands and I have three wigs and so it helps keep them looking their best.
Wig Stand

I have so many hats that I wear now and I couldn't see them all.  So we installed this coffee mug holder on the wall in my closet so I could hang all my hats and see them at a glance.
Hat Holder

At low immunity points you will want a face mask to avoid germs. I bought a box of 50 and they were super cheap.
Face Mask

Feeling nauseous?  These ginger chews are my favorite.  In fact, I like them even when I'm not going through chemo!
Ginger Chews

And lavendar lotion is amazing:
JR Watkins Lavendar Lotion


Victoria Secret knockout jacket- I love the inside pockets post surgery. Holds drains and tubes. They are on clearance so you better get one ASAP!

Lululemon jacket.... So soft and just like the other jacket it has inner pockets. I also had lymph nodes removed and couldn't raise my arm and had to wear zip up apparel for weeks. 



Eucerin Face Cream This feels so nice on my face, but my eyes get so tender and sore from the fake eyelash strips and this helps at night soothe my eyes. 

Joni's Wigs- love their wigs. They give you a discount for medical purposes and they fix each wig so that it fits you perfectly. 
Wig #1
Wig #2
http://www.headcoversbyjoni.com

Hats with Hair- they make a halo wig out of your own hair! You have to send it to Florida and it takes about three weeks to get back. It does cost a little bit but you get to keep your hair!
http://www.hatswithhair.com

Hip and Humble- cutest hats and scarfs!

http://www.hipandhumble.com

Favorite Healing Jewelry. I have received different bracelets as gifts. Great jewelry and cuylte gifts!
Alex and Ani

I will continue to add to this list as more things help me along this journey. 

1 comment:

  1. These are awesome helps…you have the makings of a book that many could benefit from! Hope you've received my B-Day gift...

    ReplyDelete