Friday, January 3, 2014

Rejoice

Today I can say that I am nearing the halfway point with chemo infusions. So I am finding reasons to rejoice! I had my third infusion yesterday and I only have three more left. The next ten days will be challenging, but this time I don't have a cold on top of everything else.
Yesterday morning I felt more like myself than I have in months. I was happy and vibrant. My mom took me out to the wig store so I could get a comfort cap and I ended up with a new, short, sassy wig! I love it! 

We had to be up to Huntsman by 12:45 and on the way up I remembered I needed to buy contact solution for Mikayla, sauerkraut, cranberry jelly and qtips. So we stopped by a grocery store on our way. My mom drove me up and Joey was going to meet us there, so I had to carry my groceries in my purse. What I forgot was that I had to show my insurance card at the desk for the infusion and so I had to unload my groceries onto the counter to get to my wallet that was underneath. I am sure they thought I was crazy pulling those items out of my purse! 
I met this kind lady who was there for her first infusion and she was so nervous. We were able to talk for a few minutes and I hope I helped ease her concerns. But I guess in reality you have to experience it to be comforted. People can tell you what to expect but only going through it really makes it bearable. 

We had tickets for the Utes basketball game against Oregon who is ranked #10 and I was so hoping to get to the game. But the infusion room was so busy because they were overbooked because on catching up on patients that couldn't do infusions on New Year's Day when the lab was closed. So at 6 pm when the game started I was still watching the chemo drop ever so slowly ..... We started watching the game on tv and it was such a great game. We finally finished infusion at 7:30. Yes....I was there for 7 hours. Ugh! And we took a chance on swinging over to the arena. We found a close parking spot and got to our seats with 5 minutes left in the game.
The game was so exciting and after sitting for 7 hours it felt so nice to stand and clap my hands. The game went into overtime so I was able to see more basketball than I anticipated. Unfortunately they lost by 2 points but it was a thrilling game! 
Today I have to go back up to Huntsman for my white blood cell shot (which is $7000 and it is a new year and I have to meet my deductible again!) and I have some lymphedema developing in my left arm where they took out my 22 lymph nodes. My left hand is very swollen and sore and extends up my arm and through my armpit. Today they will guide my through how to treat these symptoms. 
I have been so blessed the past few weeks with reminders of my loved ones and friends. I love this picture Casey took of our bald heads. My heart is touched by the sweet things people do for me and my family. The rings for our girls from their young women's leaders, the Keva gift cards from the Rey's, the Cafe Rio card from Pat and Robert, and the breast cancer bear and pillowcase and Cafe Rio card from Rock and Marilou. The dinners that are provided by our neighbors on bad chemo days. The little things my girlfriends send that cheer me up: sexy panties, eyeshadow, lip gloss, homemade fudge, etc. Burt's Bees stuff from the Merback's!! Thank you!
The continuous cards of support from loved ones in the nail. And I have an awesome shirt from Aunt Charlene that I will wear with pride:
And Amelia always makes me smile. Here she is wearing my cancer sleep cap! She makes that hat look adorable.
And when your niece tries to photo bomb your cell phone.... You just have to photo bomb her photo bomb!
So as the new year begins I will always try to stay positive. I will look forward and not hold onto the past. I will rejoice!!

No comments:

Post a Comment