Thursday, October 17, 2013

Count your blessings

Tonight I was reminded that I needed to count my blessings. Sometimes you receive inspiration when you don't want it and when you least expect it. My great aunt, Doris, is suffering from dimentia. She has not been doing well lately. Keep in mind she is the happiest 90 year old alive! I was anxious about when I would see her next and I wouldn't be able to see her once my hair falls out... That would be so confusing to her. She has been a source of great comfort and I have so many great memories of her. 
Every Christmas we would go to her house and the cousins would play in the basement. She came to all my birthday parties and recitals. Her cabin in Yellowstone is the greatest. I remember her taking Shondell and I out looking for bears at 2 am. We didn't find any bears but we thought we might die from her drowsy driving! She was the greatest teacher of how to cheat in a game of cards..... Not because she was dishonest...she just wanted to see the kids beat the adults. You never left a card game to go to the bathroom or you wouldn't like your cards when you returned! Mikayla loves Aunt Doris and has memories of her squirrels and playing Sorry. 
Today I expected a super sad visit. And there she was... Happy as could be. I'm not sure that she recognized me, but she knew my dad. The conversation was not easy but she was happy and loving. We decided to pray with her.... And that was when things got interesting. She decided right as Joey was praying to start into an opera... "O Sole Mio". My mom and I couldn't quite contain our giggles and it took all that my dad and Joey had to finish their prayer. 
As we were about to leave she started to sing a church hymn... She knew the tune but not all the words. She knew, "When upon life's billows we are ...." And that was it. She kept trying to remember the words. So we decided to sing with her. We sang the song a few times. And she sang it a few more times!!! 
And I was watching an amazing woman... She was nearing the end of her life. She has few visitors. She is confined to a chair in her home. She can't remember things or keep them clear.... And she was prompted to sing to me....I need to count my blessings. 
I am so blessed to have met the love of my life. 
I am so blessed to have amazing children: Greyden, Gage, Cassidy, Mikayla, Dallas and Savana.
I am so grateful for loving parents who are the greatest.
I am so blessed for my in-laws: MiKell, Moe, Laila, Larry, Anita, Lee, Joe, and Connie. They have all influenced my life.
I am so blessed by wonderful brothers and sisters. They love so big!
I am so blessed for my occupation and the talents I have that enable me to be a great teacher. 
I am so blessed for my friends and neighbors. They are too numerous to count. 
I am so blessed for my home, my city, my country.
I am so blessed that we found the cancer before it spread past the curable point. And I am so blessed that we have wonderful doctors and nurses so close. 
Doris taught me a valuable lesson. Instead of dealing on my fears...I need to count my blessings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment