Sunday, October 6, 2013

Replace your fear with FAITH




Joey and I were discussing religion this evening and I commented that I hesitated to be too specific about my beliefs on our blog.  I would never want to offend anyone based on religious beliefs.  I also am a public school teacher and there is a fine line that I wouldn't want to cross.  With that being said. . . .Joey reassured me by stating that anyone who faces a challenge such as cancer has to hold on to some belief in a higher power and I shouldn't worry about offending anyone. 

This weekend I was seeking comfort in the words of my church leader and on Saturday the statement that we should replace our fear with faith.  Joey has far more faith than I do in this process.  I need to be braver and put my fears aside and rely on faith and trust in a heavenly father who believes that I can fight this cancer.

I also received a private facebook message from a former student who has recently gone through a challenge that no one her age should face.  Her world should feel like it is crumbling around her and yet she is reaching out to me and telling me that there is a reason why I am being given this challenge.  Now my students are teaching me!  She shared a quote with me that someone gave to her during her trial:


And then I was comforted in the words of my church leaders as I was reminded why we go through challenges and how we face those challenges.  I need to be BRAVE as the strong timber.  We went to the cabin for 24 hours and it helped me reset and find the faith that I need to be BRAVE. 


Good Timber

    by Douglas Malloch
The tree that never had to fight
For sun and sky and air and light,
But stood out in the open plain
And always got its share of rain,
Never became a forest king
But lived and died a scrubby thing.The man who never had to toil
To gain and farm his patch of soil,
Who never had to win his share
Of sun and sky and light and air,
Never became a manly man
But lived and died as he began.Good timber does not grow with ease:
The stronger wind, the stronger trees;
The further sky, the greater length;
The more the storm, the more the strength.
By sun and cold, by rain and snow,
In trees and men good timbers grow.Where thickest lies the forest growth,
We find the patriarchs of both.
And they hold counsel with the stars
Whose broken branches show the scars
Of many winds and much of strife.
This is the common law of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment