Sunday, October 20, 2013

Lifelong Besties


Tonight I arrived at Robintino's to find my friends that have been united since we were in elementary school. Kami, Tammy, Tracy, Amber, Sandy, Amy, Angie, Meridee and Heather were seated at the table adorned with breast cancer tee shirts and pink balloons floating at the end of the table. 
We are also SO loud when we get together because we relive memories and finally divulge secrets that we have kept for 20 years. We are always there for each other. Distance and time oftens creates a void between friends, but we have fought hard to make time to keep our bonds strong.

I have made friends at my places of employment over the years, in my neighborhood, in my kid's activities.... But it is reassuring to know that you have friends that remember you as you were at 4 years old. And you have gone through many hard things together. These girls have always been there. And this is why we were at dinner. They wanted to remind me how much they love and support me before I have my surgery. It did feel like a "last supper". I was so happy to see everyone, but I was so sad for the reason that we were meeting tonight.

The conversation centered a lot on cancer and boobs!! But eventually we were able to find that place where we are most comfortable sharing secrets and retelling our funniest moments. 
My parents even decided to swing by.... They miss my group of friends. And bravely they have taken us of many trips as teenagers and I think my mom has been missing those days when our worries were small. She needed to see the girls as much as I did! And without fail my dad had a message for us!! He is a quiet man, but he is very wise and inspired. So when he does have something to say it is usually pretty important:

"Being a good person is like being a pumpkin. God lifts you up, takes you
in, and washes all the dirt off of you. He opens you up, touches you deep
inside and scoops out all of the yucky stuff -- including the seeds of doubt, hate, greed, etc. Then He carves you a bright new smiling face and puts His light inside of you to shine for all the world to see. This was passed on to me from another pumpkin. Now, it is your turn to pass it on to a pumpkin of your choice. I liked this enough to send it to all the pumpkins in my patch."

My dad wanted this to relate more to my current situation and took some creative license:

"Fighting cancer is like being a pumpkin. God (and others) lifts you up, takes you
in, and washes all the dirt off of you. He opens you up, touches you deep inside and scoops out all of the yucky stuff -- including the seeds of doubt, hate, greed, pride, cancer, etc. Then He carves you a bright new smiling face and puts His light inside of you to shine for all the world to see. This was passed on to me from another pumpkin."

The card my besties gave me made me cry. I couldn't fight my tears.... I love these girls. They are my family. They remember when I was called a nerd at Orchard Elementary. They remember our trips to Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, and Zions. They remember when I dressed up like a boy with Tracy dressed as my date to crash a Davis High dance and watch Kami and Heather at the prom. They remember my successes and they helped me overcome my failures. And they are here with my for my next successful adventure. 



The funniest part of the night came when we went to the parking lot. Everyone wanted to know what a tumor feels like.... And yup! They are my closest friends so everyone got to say goodbye to "the girls"!!! But no worries no one will have to say goodbye to THIS girl! I've for my friends behind me and I'm ready to fight!



2 comments:

  1. Oh my godness... what a great group of girls. When did you girls grow up...? I remember each one of you and love you all. Lisa you are so blessed with the strength of BRAVE friends. Hugs to you all...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandi. . . we totally talked about you! You made such an impact on all of us. We love you!

    ReplyDelete