Sunday, October 13, 2013

Honor the tribe

Teaching is a unique profession. We feel like we have 240 kids each year that we love and care for the entire school year. And in return these kids rely on you almost as much as their parents. They will ask you for food, love advice, bathroom breaks, a higher grade....
They annoy you at times, they often whine, they will frequently complain...
But they also work hard. They want to make you proud. They surprise you sometimes as they turn the tables. It is now time for me to complain and whine. They are now serving me. Each day I have students checking on me and asking me how I'm doing. Our student body and class officers made me this blanket....which will be awesome in the infusion room at Huntsman. And now I need to work hard and show them that I can be successful. 
I was a Woods Cross Wildcat and it is shocking to know that I am a converted Brave! I love these kids. I love the staff. Bountiful High is an amazing family. Each year there is a different theme for the year and each year it fits our community. One year it was about believing in yourself. Another year it was about how we are all one. This year the theme is "Honor the Tribe". We are definitely a tribe and it is amazing to see how our school comes together as a tribe. And it is now my turn to lean on my tribe and show them that I honor them by conquering this cancer!
This isn't the first time Bountiful High students have been impacted by cancer. Hayden and Spencer show me how brave they are as they build me up for my fight. These sweet boys lost their mom to breast cancer just last year. I can't imagine that it would be easy to watch your teacher that you see everyday going through the same things that you saw your mom going through. And it is right before your eyes and it wasn't that long ago. And yet they are so BRAVE to support me and show me their love.
And Martin and Perfecto also lost their mom last year to cancer. Martin made a point of telling me to make sure they check everything carefully. His mom thought they got all the cancer and by the time the realized they didn't it was too late. And to watch his eyes glisten with tears as he relives these feelings but yet feels so BRAVE to talk to me about his experience. I love these boys. 
It is hard to reassure then that I will be okay and that I will beat this. Not because I don't believe that I will..... But because their moms also believed they could win their battle. It makes you wonder how these young kids can find such bravery. But then I look back to last year when I saw their friends, peers, and teachers that supported them. We are a tribe! It is time for me to "Honor the Tribe"!
Below is a link to the story KSL did on another student and his mom's fight. Watch how the tribe supported Mo!

No comments:

Post a Comment