Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Lululemon heals the heart!


Two nights ago I couldn't sleep. I spent a few hours going through my closet. I found all my button up and zip up clothes (because I can't pull anything over my head for 6 weeks). Maybe I should explain that.... They are removing all the lymph nodes from my left armpit. If I raise my left arm I risk lymphedema. So I wanted to not only find these items but I wanted to make sure they were on the bottom rung of my closet. I went through my sweaters and found those that were not over-the-head and placed them in a corner of my closet. I went though my hats and my scarfs. My emotions were raw by the time I did get to sleep. And three hours later I was headed to a full day of work. And then my dearest friend walked into my classroom.
When I transferred from Layton High to Bountiful High I was fearful that I wouldn't find close friends like I have had at other schools. Everyone at Bountiful kind of has their lunch groups. And then I met the Spanish teacher. 
She is like my friend soul mate!! We may have a few years that separate us, but honestly I love her. We like the same food. We both like fancy clothes. We watch the same shows. One year our plan was to apply for the Amazing Race. We cry to each other on hard days, we tell each other our secrets, we vent about things at work.... She just gets me.
Last week she was trying so hard to get the district to let her donate sick days to me. This wasn't possible but she spent so much time and energy trying to help me. She is like my sister at work! 
And yet I text her all summer and in the evenings. I just rely on her every day. She makes me laugh. And she is even a huge BYU fan. Every year we both bribe students during the big game. I go into her classroom and give all the kids wearing Utes gear candy. And she comes into my room and rewards the BYU fans. This year she stepped up her game! She made homemade cookies and stood in the hall proclaiming her love for BYU! I could not have her win the war! So I yelled down the hall that the cookies had food poisoning!  And she told me she wouldn't go easy on me just because I had cancer!!! This is why I love her. She gets my humor! She is sassy! 
And in the time that I have been at Bountiful I have really bonded with the 3rd floor teachers. They are my support and we all lean on each other. There isn't anything we wouldn't do for each other.  Kim will lend me an ear when I need advice. Tamara will make me laugh. Anita helps me keep things in perspective. Jami lets me cry in her office! Angela will put grades in for me or plan my lessons. Ben will let me ship off misbehaving students to his room. Robyn will always wear cute shoes and make me envious. Jodi gives me peace and humor with her Facebook posts. And Joel has my back every day since he is across the hall! 
And now after a night of raw emotion Julie brings me a chemo gift.... Something I have NEVER bought for myself. I've never indulged..... I have longed. I have been jealous.... But I have never bought any Lululemon.
And now I have my first lululemon jacket. Yes! I know I am vain and so ridiculous, but it was such a big deal. I started to bawl!!  I didn't even give her a hard time that it was blue. (Actually I LOVE the color!) She just knows me so well and she watches out for me. And even for Mikayla! She told Mikayla that on Monday when I am in surgery she is bringing her pizza for lunch at school. 
Julie I love you girl!!! I know you have so many hard things that you have been through. You show me how to be BRAVE! Sometimes it might require swearing, laughing or crying.... But you always fight and come out a victor!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment