Friday, October 18, 2013

Patience

Today was our last golf day of the season. And for me it will be some time before I can swing a golf club.... I have learned to love the game of golf. It teaches me so many valuable lessons. It makes me slow down. I have to detach from my worries and concerns. And most of all I need to be calm and patient. This is hard for most golfers which is why it is such a challenging sport. You have this stupid little ball and every angle, stroke and stance alters the result of your swing. 
I'm still a new golfer so every time I get up to the tee I have to get my stance correct. I check my hand placement. I adjust the angle of my club and I always try to do a practice swing. Then I can adjust for any errors for the actual swing. But I am NOT a patient person. I tend to want to rush through these steps and then I'm frustrated when I slice the ball or make a huge divot 6 inches behind the ball. There is great value in learning the lesson of patience. 
This experience has taught me to have patience. From the day of my first doctor exam I have had to be patient. We had to wait for tests to be completed. We had to wait to meet with doctors. We had to wait to find a surgery date. We have to wait for chemo until I am healed from surgery. We have to wait for reconstruction. We have to wait to be cancer free. 
There is a reason why I am being tested. Maybe it is that I need to develop more patience. I feel at peace the moment we pull into the parking lot at Oakridge. I sense that although I might have setbacks in my game I am relieved of all stress and can focus on that little ball. 
I wish that my approach to cancer could be so simple. I need to find peace and trust my loved ones and doctors. I need to focus on one thing.... Beating cancer! 
That will be the greatest hole in one!


No comments:

Post a Comment