Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Impact of Community

Look at those pink socks!! Our sophomore team rocked out the pink in yesterday's game. And next Tuesday the entire district is sponsoring a Breast Cancer Awareness Day. Our high school is wearing pink and asking our students to wear pink. I will be in the hospital recovery from my double mastectomy. But I am amazed and awed at the support of our community. 
I took the dogs to the vet to get groomed. I can't pick them up for the next 6 weeks! My little babies!! But as I left Dr. Joe's I had a card full of well wishes! 
My niece, Mariah, was telling me that she had friends that were talking about this teacher that was fighting breast cancer. And Mariah was like.... That is my aunt! And here her friends were praying for me.
And my dear friend Heather told me that her sweet daughter Bennett was praying for me every day! 
I took a few minutes to email the parents of my students to inform them I would be out for a week. I received a number of well wishes and a shocking amount of stories of parents that had gone through the same experience or had a family member that had battled breast cancer. 
How can we not be humbled by this overwhelming support from our community? Joey receives calls daily from his friends reaching out in support. My friends are doing the same. I am realizing there is no possible way that someone can understand the love of a community. And yet we are all part of this big family and we all feel united. I have never been more grateful for this idea of community. Thank you's are not enough but let's rejoice in where we live... The neighbors who support us.... The family members who love us.... The associates we rub shoulders with...instead of begrudging the negative aspects of where we live- traffic, cold, construction, etc. .... we need to realize how fortunate we are to live in this amazing place!


No comments:

Post a Comment