Sunday, October 13, 2013

No shave November.... Starting now!

It has been two weeks since Joey stopped shaving. I guess the plan is that if I don't have hair that one of us should!! I never really thought about why people participated in this venture. But Joey informed me that he was starting early because of my diagnosis. Apparently, the reasoning behind this is for men to become more aware about prostate cancer and early detection.

The goal of Movember is to "change the face of men's health.

The movement is designed to bring awareness to cancer detection and treatment. My father is a survivor of prostrate cancer and so there is a soft spot in my heart for men who participate and determine to get their prostate levels checked.  The month isn't so much about not shaving but about men becoming more aware if their health.

Some guys have taken this effort and raised proceeds to help with Breast Cancer Awareness. One organization raised over $11,000 last year and donated it to the Susan G. Komen organization.

Joey and his friends are doing it to show their love and support for me during this time. I'm not sure that their hairy faces provide me encouragement but I will sag that it helps Joey to know that he has his buddies with him on this journey and that he isn't alone. Joey wants to make it to the end of November. And that is very BRAVE.... Not sure how he can explain his hairy beard to his clients!!! But when I kiss his hairy chin, cheeks, and lips I am reminded if how much he loves and supports me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment