Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Leaving my classroom

I love my job. My days are never the same. These kids make me laugh. These kids drive me crazy! These kids inspire me. But to think of leaving my classroom for a week and maybe longer is so overwhelming. These are my kids. And since I teach sophomores I care about a bunch of juniors and seniors at the school since they were my kids just recently. 
Some of my craziest memories were teaching junior high. I remember a boy putting a string in his nostril and pulling it out of his throat. So he was holding one end of the string with his left hand that was coming out if his nose and the right hand was holding the string that was coming out of his throat..... And he was so proud of himself. Another time I asked a student to flip the lights off for me. And he literally flipped the bird up at the lights.....Once I told a student to NOT get out of his desk again. At the end of the class I told them to turn in their assignments to the in box. And this kid is hopping in his desk to the in box. I asked him what he thought he was doing......"well you said not to get out of my desk again"!
My high schoolers are a little more mature.... But not much! But they keep me young! But I love teaching and I feel a lot if pressure to help these kids succeed.  
It is hard to plan lessons and know that you won't be there teaching them. I have two great subs that I trust. But I didn't decide to teach so that I could turn over my passion to someone else. I WANT to be teaching them. 
I had all my lesson plans ready to go for two weeks and then the worst thing..... I got behind in my teaching and do I had to revise ALL of them! Grrrrr! 
I was actually so sad yesterday and today knowing that I won't see these kids for awhile. I have to trust that they will behave, be respectful and still learn while I am away.
I am reminded daily that they love me and that their parents are being so supportive. I know as a parent it would be hard to know my kids teacher is missing a lot of school and hope that their education doesn't suffer. I can say that although I'm not their I am trying my best to make sure these kids don't miss a beat. In fact, without my stupid stories and music and walking on tables they might actually get more done in class!!
I received this awesome playlist from a parent (not sure if they would want to be names) and it made my day. It is her own playlist of songs to cheer me up! It just made me cry and I was touched to know that I had the support of parents. And yes!! She even wrote about me walking on tables.... I wonder what other stories these kids take home! 
And then I took a step back today. I got an anonymous letter in my box in the office from a student at our school who told me that they have not had me as a teacher.
The student goes on to say that they have had breast cancer. She has a mass that is being monitored by doctors. She has had one tumor previously removed and a month ago they found another one.
Then she gives me advice on how to stay positive. She told me to laugh, cry if I need to, rely on Heavenly Father, and dance and sing. Then she said, "You can do it. You can beat it. Hair and boobs mean nothing compared to your heart and who you are. You are BRAVE and you will best this." This is a teenager.... How impressive? She told me that she wishes she had my strength, conviction, attitude, smile, perseverance, heart, love.... I wish I knew who this student is so that I could tell then that they are ALL those things. My students teach me and support me. And I am so grateful that this is my profession. I love my job and my kids!



No comments:

Post a Comment