Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Surgery

I should preface this post by stating that it may be a PG-13 post as I have many people asking about the details of the surgery. I realize that many would giggle when talking about boobs! And I'm one of them. Well I guess I used to be....
On Monday, October 21st I will have a double mastectomy. Originally we thought about a lumpectomy on just the left side but now based on the size, the margins, and the fact that it has spread we are facing a mastectomy. Doctors actually recommend doing both sides if facing one. And survivors I have talked to also wish that they had done both. There is a high recurrence 4-5 years down the road that the other side will present cancer. And I don't want to go through this again. Also the "fake" side will never change based on age, weight, etc. The insurance covers the surgery and reconstruction AND I've met my insurance out of pocket. I also won't have to have mammograms and wonder every time IF.....
They do remove all the tissue in the area and they will try to save the nipple. (I warned you...) There are two problems with this... 1- There is no tissue left to provide a blood supply to the nipple and it may die due to this. 2- The tumor may be too close to the nipple and they would not be able to save it. If they are unable to save and/or keep them alive they will make fake nipples from skin on the back. 
At the time of surgery a plastic surgeon will put tissue expanders in the chest. And every week for three months I will go see them and they will slowly insert saline into the expanders. The incision will start at my armpit and will go horizontally towards the nipple. 
They will also remove all the lymph nodes in my armpit on the left side. I will have drains for 2-3 weeks after surgery which aids in extra fluid from the surgery so that it can leave the body and not cause infection. After I have expanded the breasts with the "braces for boobs" they will do 6 weeks of radiation on the left armpit. They wait for reconstruction until after radiation because the side effects of radiation can alter the skin, size and shape of the breast and then they would have to redo the reconstruction. The tissue expanders are not painful but they are not comfortable. They wait three months after radiation so that the tissues and muscles can heal before the last surgery. This last surgery will be about a year from now. They will also remove the port used for infusions at that time.
The reconstruction uses silicone because you have no muscle or tissue to hide saline rippling and/or changes. They also need a muscle to set in front of the implant. Usually they try to take this from the stomach. That is why some women end up with a "tummy tuck" at the same time. I have been losing too much weight the past 6 months and they said I don't have enough to take from my stomach....damn!! (I figure if it is a PG-13 post I should swear at least once!). If I had known I would have been pigging out more! Instead they will take the muscle in my back right behind my chest and they cut 3 of the 4 sides from that muscle and flip it from the back to the front. They said that doing muscles that use that part of your back will be challenging since you have to retrain your muscles. 
I will stay at Huntsman for at least one night and possibly three nights depending on my recovery. Joey will be available for updates if you want to text him. He will also have my phone. My mom will also be available. We will have Holly post an update for us if I'm unable to give an update.

2 comments:

  1. Lisa: I am so impressed with how articulate you are in your posts. Even though I've had friends with breast cancer, I didn't really understand their experience. I'm learning through your expressions what these women have really gone through.Thank you for that.
    We have put your name on the Prayer Roll at the temple, and I'm sure others have also done so. There are lots of loved ones and strangers along the Wasatch Front that are praying for you I am so touched with the support of your school, friends, and students.
    You are an amazing lady. We love you and are also praying every night for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kathy. We appreciate your love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete